We had lots of compliments about our mulled cider and spiced apple juice, so here is the recipe:
Mulled Cider / Spiced Apple Juice Recipe
- 2 litres good cider or apple juice
- 6 cloves
- 3 or 4 star anise
- ¼nutmeg, finely grated into the pan
- 1 cinnamon stick
- vanilla essence to taste (half tsp)
- juice of 1 orange
- juice of 2 clementines
- 4 or 5 tablespoons of caster sugar, to taste
- Pour all of the cider into a large pan on a low heat and warm it through for a few minutes. Add all of the spices and fruit juices and turn the heat up. Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and leave to tick away for 5 to 8 minutes. As everything infuses you'll get the most delicious layers of flavour. Taste and add a few tablespoons of sugar to taste. You don't want it to be sweet; you just want the sugar to join up all the different spices so you get a harmonious taste.
- When you are happy with the flavours, ladle into glasses or mugs and serve while warm and delicious.