Monday 6 August 2018

Cambridge Open Studios

As usual I'm behind with updating my blog, but I do catch up eventually between busy periods of working flat-out, as it is useful to have what I've been doing documented in a diary format.


July was Cambridge Open Studios month and my new garden studio was open to the public for the first three weekends.  It was extremely hot for all three weekends and visitor numbers were noticeably down, especially the weekend of the Wimbledon final and during the football World Cup matches.  However for some reason this year I had a lot of new visitors, perhaps some escaping the heat of the city studios and venturing into the countryside? Whatever the reason, my visitors were looking to buy artwork, especially on the final Sunday.  Perhaps my new studio somehow validated my work and showed a more professional side, as this was my best year in terms of sales, in the 23 years I've been participating. Yay!


The gazebo housed my coaster and tea towel displays and inside the studio, my fab hanging system showed off the 31 framed prints beautifully. There was also space for my print browser and two card stands.

Open Studios, although exhausting, is a really great event. I love talking about printmaking as most people have no idea about the process involved in producing an original print.  Having people visit and like my work gives me the confidence to carry on with what I'm doing and buying artwork allows me to carry on doing just that.

No comments :