Thursday 28 May 2020

Orange Grove


Despite not having the usual goals to work towards such as Cambridge Open Studios, I'm still working away.  I've recently finished this new drypoint print with chine-collé.  It's an imagined seen of sparrows hopping around in an orange tree.  It reminds me of sunny holidays in the Med.  I'm told they can't be Italian sparrows as they look quite different to other European sparrows, so I'm thinking more Spanish or Greek.

I've used chine-collé before on the sold out 'Rich Pickings' drypoint.  Using hand-made Japanese paper, I paint it the colour I need, then tear them into shapes, in this case oranges.  After inking and wiping the drypoint plate I place the 'oranges' face down on the plate with the glued side facing up.  The etching paper is placed on top and rolled through my press.  The outline and oranges are transferred to the paper.  Once the ink is dry I hand colour each print with watercolour.  I've printed five so far and coloured three, one of which is already sold.
Here's a mock-up of how it could look framed in a room setting.  I'm using a new App called InSituArtRoom which has been fun to use.

No comments :