Thursday 17 January 2019

Birch Book


Last year I was asked by Anna Lewington for permission to use my "Silver Birch Wood with Long-tailed Tits" screen-print design in her new book about the humble birch tree.  I said of course as she would credit me in the text and also send me a copy of the book.


I'd almost forgotten about it when last week the book arrived.  I was thrilled to be in the same chapter as art heroes such as Millais, Gustav Klimt and van Gogh.  The book is a lovely specimen with interesting articles about how the birch has widely colonised the cool parts of the northern hemisphere, their versatility and usefulness to make a huge number of  things.  Also it's use in medicine, in folklore and for inspiration to artists (such as me).

I'm looking forward to sitting down and having a proper read.  There's a video of me flicking through the book on my Instagram page.

It's published by Reaktion Books ISBN 978 1 78914 011 8

No comments :